• 6 slices Venison about ¼ inch thick x 6 x 4 (Pounded if Necessary)
• 3 slices lean bacon
• 1 onion, julienned
• 3 dill pickles, sliced
• 2 tbsp butter
• mustard, salt, pepper, corn starch
• 1 – 2 cups Beef Stock
• 1.5 Cups Mushrooms sliced
• ¼ Cup Burgundy Wine
• Pinch of Juniper Berry
• Pinch of Thyme
• Season Venison with salt and freshly ground pepper. Thinly spread mustard on top of each slice.
• Divide bacon, pickle, and 3-4 Julienned onion slices on one end of each slice.
• Roll up slices, tucking the ends in and securing with skewers, wooden cocktail picks, or thread.
• Heat butter in skillet. Brown rouladen well on all sides. Do not crowd rouladen in skillet, or they will not brown nicely. Do in small batches if necessary. Add extra butter if needed.
• Once all rouladen are well browned, add Mushrooms and remainder of Julienned Onion, gently sautéing. Deglaze with Burgundy and add Beef Stock, Juniper and Thyme. Return all rouladen and any accumulated juices to skillet, bring to simmer and cover.
• Simmer for about 1 1/2 hours.
• Remove rouladen. To thicken gravy, combine about 1-2 tbsp corn starch in a little cold water and stir gently into cooking liquid until slightly thickened.
• Season gravy to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper. If you wish, add sour cream to the gravy.
• Remove skewers, picks, or thread to serve rouladen with their gravy.